MS Office is a suite that includes applications, servers, and services developed for Windows and Mac OS by the renowned brand, Microsoft. The first version of this suite contained only three applications, i.e., Excel for creating spreadsheets, PowerPoint for creating presentations and Word for creating documents, respectively.
However, the latest version of Microsoft Office, i.e., Office 2019 and Office 365, has many exciting applications and amazing features. It now includes OneNote, Access, Outlook, Publisher, and more along with those basic applications that were available within Office’s previous versions.
All the Microsoft Office versions have been classified into two categories, i.e., home and business. These two categories are different from each other in terms of features and specifications. No matter which Office version you choose to proceed with, you need to perform the download, install, and activation process to use it on your Mac or PC. Let’s discuss these three processes in detail:
Pre-requisites to Office download
To ensure that your MS Office gets downloaded and installed successfully, keep a check on the following:
- Make sure your system has sufficient storage space to accommodate the Office setup.
- Check the system specifications required to download the specific version of Microsoft Office.
- There should be no other Office version installed on your PC or Mac. If there is, then uninstall that version first to avoid any software conflict.
- Make sure you download the right version for your PC or Mac.
- Turn off the Windows firewall, if it interrupts your software download or installation.
How to download Office Setup (Windows)?
The steps to download Microsoft Office setup depends on the mode of purchase, i.e., Online or Offline:
If you have purchased Microsoft Office from a store, then do the following:
- Insert the Office installation CD into your CD/DVD drive
- Now, open the file containing the Office product key
- Begin the download and installation by running the Office setup file
- Follow on-screen instructions to complete the processes
Once you are done with the downloading and installation, activate the subscription by opening any of the Office applications.
- Go to www.office.com/setup
- Enter your 25-character Office activation key
- Now, log in to your Office credentials
- Click Download
This will begin the downloading process, which might take up to five minutes. But if your internet connection is slow, then it may take a bit more.
Why MS Office download fails?
There could be many reasons if your download process does not begin or stop in the middle.
- Your system might not be compatible with the Office version you are attempting to download. To fix this, make sure your device meets the required specifications.
- You have entered an incorrect key. To troubleshoot this issue, verify the key and also check for the typos.
- The key you have provided might be linked to any other Office account. To get rid of this problem, get a new key, and use it for the download.
- You can no longer download Office on more systems (applicable if you have multiple device subscriptions). To fix this issue, buy a new subscription.
- You might be attempting to download “Office for Windows” on Mac or vice-versa. To troubleshoot the problem, check your subscription.
How to install the MS Office setup (Windows)?
In the case of MS Office offline purchase, you will be automatically preceded to the installation after finishing up the download process. But, if you have downloaded the Office setup from office.com/setup, then follow the below-given instructions:
- Run the downloaded setup
- You can find the setup file in your Windows Downloads folder or browser’s download history
- Click Next
- Now, read the License Terms and Conditions
- Click I Agree to continue
- Now, hit the Install button
- Let the process finish
Your installation might fail if you do not follow the process correctly, or your system already has any other Office version installed on it.
How to activate MS Office?
For the activation, the only thing you need to do is to keep your Office activation code ready.
- Open MS Excel, MS PowerPoint or any other application
- You will be automatically asked to enter the Office product key
- Now, click Activate
Why reinstall MS Office?
You might need to reinstall MS Office in the following situations:
- If the installed version of Office subscription is not working properly
- If any of the Office files get corrupted
- If you no longer want to run the Office setup on existing PC or in other words, if you have changed your PC and want to use this version on new PC
How to reinstall Office Setup?
To reinstall the Office, firstly, you have to uninstall it by following this process:
- Open Windows Control Panel from the menu
- Under All Programs or Programs, click Uninstall a Program
- Find installed MS Office version from the list of the programs
- Right-click on it and choose Uninstall from the list
- Allow the process to finish
To reinstall Office setup, either repeat the download or installation process like before or follow these steps:
- Open your Office account on the existing or new PC
- Go to the Subscription and click Install
- Follow the on-screen processes to finish the process
Where can I check my subscription details?
Once activated, you can check everything related to your Office subscription by logging in to your Office My Account with your registered email address and password. On the home screen of your account, click the Subscription tab to check your renewal, expiration, and other subscription details.
For further information on Office download, installation, or activation, contact the Office customer support team.